The Alexandria Gazette and the Mount Vernon Gazette both published articles on March 5th regarding the plight of the Bahá’ís in Iran, and specifically regarding the seven Bahá’í leaders who are imprisoned. There are ongoing prayer gatherings here in Arlington, as well as in Alexandria, Falls Church and Mount Vernon. For more information regarding these prayer gatherings and other upcoming events in this our area, please visit our Calendar of Events.
So what can we do locally?
1. Write to your local Representative and ask them to co-sponsor H.Res 175. Representative Jim Moran of Arlington was one of the original co-sponsors of this resolution that “Condemning the Government of Iran for its state-sponsored persecution of its Baha’i minority and its continued violation of the International Covenants on Human Rights.”
2. Write to your Senators and ask them to pass a similar resolution in the Senate.
3. Attend a Prayer Gathering.
4. Watch an overview of the situation and express your concern on the Speak Out 4 Baha’is Website.
5. Use your talents to express your concern. An example of this is the “Be Free Campaign” which has songs available for free download.
7. Stay in formed – visit iran.bahai.us for the latest updates.